Below are answers to our most common questions:
1) What injector should I use with Caney Creek Molds? Our injection opening is 5/8" and will accept any injector nozzle designed for 5/8" (this is the most common size produced and sold by most manufactures, including us).
2) Is injecting baits safe? Regardless of pouring hot plastic, or injecting hot plastic, great care needs to be used. The plastic is normally 350 degrees or hotter and will burn you. Proper clothes, shoes, gloves and face protection should be used. A bucket of water should also be nearby (as trying to wipe hot plastic off your skin will only smear it). You should inspect all your equipment and molds to make sure they are in good working order. Pouring or injecting is not a novice hobby. If this is something you are interested in learning, you should get with an experienced bait maker and learn from them prior to striking out on your own. Caney Creek Molds does not accept any responsibility for your safety. You need to educate yourself, use proper safety precautions, keep your equipment in good working order and work smart.
3) How do you make your molds? All of our molds are machined out of T6061 T6 aluminum. The halves are joined by a stainless steel hinge and stainless steel screws for convenience. The hinge should not be relied upon as a replacement for proper clamping. You should always use quality clamps and ensure that both halves fit snuggly together to prevent plastic from leaking out of the mold. Do not over clamp with a heavy ďCĒ clamp as this can actually deform and damage the integrity of the mold.
4) What is your warranty / return policy? We take quality very seriously. Every mold is quality tested prior to leaving our shop by a member of our family. If you receive a mold that is damaged in shipping, or does not perform as designed, please notify us within 10 business days for an immediate repair or replacement. This warranty does not cover abuse or misuse of the mold in any way.
Return Policy: We offer sample bags of baits to see if you like a specific bait. Please do not buy a mold to try it out and expect to exchange it. We offer a place on our forum where you can sell molds you no longer use.
5) How do I maintain the mold? The molds are precision machined and have very tight tolerances. Care should be used to avoid dropping, over clamping, or scratching the inside of the mold. If the inside of the mold is compromised (severely damaged), do not use it. Using a damaged mold, or a mold that is not fitting together properly, could result in significant danger to yourself, or others in the area.
Once cool, the inside of the mold can be wiped down with a soft cloth. If the inside is dirty it can be cleaned with WD40 and a soft cloth. The outside can also be cleaned with WD40. You can also gently wipe down the outside of the mold with a fine Scotch-Brite pad to restore the original finish (do not use this on the inside).
The screws are phillips head and treated with Loctite 222MS. You should always check that they are secure, use a #2 phillips head screwdriver and lightly tighten until firm resistance is achieved. Do not over tighten as the screws are steel and the mold is aluminum Ė you can strip the mold threads if you over tighten.
6) I have a great idea for a mold, will you make it? It depends. We handle these request on a case by case basis. Typically the time involved in creating 1 mold, for 1 customer, is financially not feasible. However, depending on the order size, design, exclusivity of the mold, and many other factors, it is something we will consider. All we ask in return for us evaluating your idea is that you donít get offended if itís something we canít do at the present time.
7) I received my mold(s) and there is already a bait in it, is it used? No!
We inject every mold to make sure it injects well and doesnít flash, pit or get air bubbles. Depending on the bait (if it has small appendages or not) we may leave it in there so you can see we tested it and it works. Doing this also provides a final cleaning to the cavity so your first baits are perfect the first time.
8) When will my order ship? We make every attempt to ship your order within 1 business
day. If we are out of stock and need to make your mold it will take
priority and normally ship within 2 business days. If for any reason your
order will not ship within 3 business days we will contact you and make
appropriate arrangements to ensure your satisfaction. Orders
are not processed or shipped on Saturday or Sunday, except by prior
We cannot guarantee when an order will arrive. Consider any shipping or transit time offered to you as an estimate. We encourage you to order in a timely fashion to avoid delays caused by shipping or product availability.
If you have a question we would love to hear from you. Click on Contact Us to give us a call or send us an e-mail.